Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Lake James, North Carolina

Cross-Country Trip, Day 14

Lake James, North Carolina

We spent the day at Burt's amazing waterfront house on Lake James, a body of water 15 miles long.  Here's the view from our guest room.  That's Burt's private dock in the foreground, and his boat peeking out from under it.


He took us out on his little speedboat for a spin and a swim, and then we lazed on the dock with a picnic of all our goodies from Earth Fare.   The water was clear, cold and invigorating!  I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.












Is there anything better after a day of cold swimming than a hot steam and shower, followed by a delicious dinner and wine with friends?  Marina made red chard and mushroom miso soup, spinach and kale salad with golden beets, and tempeh in tomato sauce, and then we ended this lush day with chocolate walnut brownie ice cream made from coconut milk.  They say there's a big difference between pleasure and joy but today those two blended beautifully.  I was reminded once again that one of the greatest blessings in life is happy time spent with good friends (and great food and wine helps too!).  I met Burt when he and I were lawyers at the same firm.  He's the smartest guy I know, and an amazing friend.  He introduced me to a way of thinking that changed my life forever and I will always be grateful.  Thank you, Burt, for a wonderful time in Asheville and for all you've taught me.             

1 comment:

  1. Yes, my pleasure! And I am looking forward to your buying a ranch near Asheville and our being able to regularly spend time together.

    ReplyDelete